Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation is a tax free monetary monthly benefit paid to eligible survivors of military Servicemembers who died during active duty, or those who are eligible survivors of Veterans who received service-related injury or disease that resulted in their death.

There are several different types of disability benefits that are available to assist Veterans who have served in any branch of the military. We offer experienced and professional assistance to help Veterans obtain benefits for their service-related disabilities, including:

  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Injuries from chemical exposure, including Agent Orange, mustard gas and nerve gas

Eligibility of a Surviving Spouse

You may be eligible for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation if you are the surviving spouse who:

  • Was married to a military Servicemember who died on active duty, active duty for training or inactive duty training; OR
  • Was married to the Veteran before January 1, 1957; OR
  • Was married to the Veteran within 15 years of his discharge from the period of military service in which the disease or injury that caused the Veteran's death began or was aggravated; OR
  • Was married to the Veteran for at least one year; OR
  • Had a child with the Veteran; AND
  • Cohabitated with the Veteran continuously until the death of the Veteran; AND
  • You are not currently remarried.

If you are a surviving spouse who remarried on or after December 16, 2003, and was at least 57 years of age.

Eligibility of a Surviving Child

You may be eligible for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation if you are a child of the Servicemember who died in the line of duty, or a Veteran whose service-connected injury or disease case his death. You may only be eligible if:

  • You are unmarried AND
  • Are under the age of 18, or between the ages of 18 and 23, and currently attending school.

What does the compensation for Dependency and Indemnity consist of?

Your DIC payments will be paid monthly, and fixed at a given rate. If a surviving spouse qualifies for Aid and Attendance benefits, there may also be additional compensation added to monthly payment.

How can I apply for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation?

You will need to apply by filling out VA Form 21-534 (Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation or Death Pension as Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child), and submit the application to the Veteran's Affairs office in your area.