Felony Offenses in Hershey
Attorneys Providing Strategic Criminal Defense
Felony crimes are the most serious and carry the highest possible penalties. Even third-degree charges can mean time behind bars and fines. The consequences ripple beyond any immediate sentence and can affect the rest of your life.
At The Law Office of Jason R. Carpenter, our team will fight for your liberty and reputation.
Examples of Felony Offenses
Felonies in Hershey are divided into three categories with first-degree being the most serious, followed by second-degree and third-degree crimes.
- First-Degree Felonies: This classification includes murder, kidnapping, rape, aggravated assault with a weapon, and theft of $500,000 or more. The sentence can be 10 to 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $25,000.
- Second-Degree Felonies: This classification includes aggravated assault, sexual assault, involuntary manslaughter of a person younger than 12, and burglary when no one is in the building. The prison sentence can range between 5 and 10 years with a fine of up to $25,000.
- Third-Degree Felonies: This classification includes bribery, drug possession with intent to distribute, some weapons crimes, and possession of child pornography. Sentences include prison time between 3.5 and 7 years and a fine of up to $15,000.
Felony Convictions Carry Additional Penalties
The prison time and fines imposed are not the only penalties.
Convicted felons are also subjected to these consequences:
- You can be denied the right to government benefits.
- You won’t be able to own or possess a firearm (if it was a violent crime).
- You could lose professional licenses.
- You could lose the right to custody of your children.
- You could be denied housing.
- Your job opportunities are diminished.
- You can be denied admission to school.
- You can’t run for public office.
- You won’t be able to vote while incarcerated.
After you have served your sentence, the felony will show up on background checks for credit requests, job interviews, and housing applications. The crime will continue to follow you.
Strong Defense for Felony Charges in Hershey
You should contact us about your criminal case immediately – even if you suspect you might be arrested. The earlier we are dissecting the specifics of your circumstances, the sooner we can provide a targeted defense.
When we are on your case, our work will include the following:
- Cross-examining the police and witnesses
- Seeking to suppress illegally obtained evidence
- Asserting defenses such as self-defense
Every case is unique. We might work with prosecutors on a plea deal that reduces a felony charge to a misdemeanor. Some charges could be dismissed. We also stand ready to aggressively fight for you in court before a jury of your peers. We will use a variety of tactics to raise doubt in the minds of the jury members.
We’ll advocate for you through every step of the justice system. Contact us to schedule a free consultation by calling (717) 537-0928.
“He made a long drawn out process seem easy!”- Lechele
“Confident, thorough, and trustworthy.”- Tara
“Honest, straightforward and fights for YOU!”- Melissa W.